Monday, August 29, 2011

My hands are burning!

Over the past week I have learned why recipes are always telling you to apply rubber gloves before preparing jalapeƱos and other hot chiles. If you disobey, you will have hot burny fingers like I do. The only distraction will be the firey dish you have concocted.

From this
To this!

Today I amused myself by trying to find a likely recipe for Green Chili. After googling "Colorado Green Chili Recipe" for a while and not coming up with anything consistent, I tried New Mexico Green Chili Recipe. A little cross-referencing later, I settled on this one. I modified it heavily, omitting the extra 3 serrano peppers (thank God) the bacon fat, using vegetable stock instead of chicken... actually it's probably better if I list what I did do.


Prairie's First Attempt at a 
Vegetarian Colorado / New Mexico Style Green Chili

Ingredients:
9 roasted green chiles, diced
1 tbsp canola oil
1 med yellow onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp flour
2-1/2 cups vegetable stock
6 new potatoes, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 small can of chick peas (Garbonzo beans here!)
2 tomatoes, diced
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

If you need to roast your own peppers, do so first. Don't forget to wear latex gloves or oil up your hands. You have been warned.

Next, dribble the oil into your favourite chili pot or soup pan. Toss in the onion and garlic, cook until translucent. Coat in flour, stir. Add the vegetable stock, potatoes, carrots, and chick peas. All the vegetables should be mostly covered in broth, if there's not enough, add a little water. If there's too much, maybe add another little potato or some other root vegetable you've got rattling around in the bottom of your fridge. Add the spices. Bring to a simmer for 15 minutes or so. Add the chiles and tomato, and simmer for another 1.5 hours.

My result was deliciously spicy. Almost too painful to eat but not quite. Great with bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment