Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Got Your Goat?

I was biking home today, and went to take my usual short-cut through an empty lot everyone in the area uses to access the little park that our street butts onto, when I saw the gaping holes in the fence were fenced over. As I emerged guiltily from the empty lot, two people walking by (with cameras) said hello to me and told me not to hurry away because the goats were coming.

"Goats?" I asked.

"Goats."

So the couple's neighbours invited me into their house (which was halfway ready for American Thanksgiving - more on this holiday later hopefully) and took me to the back deck and pointed over the fence, where, many goats were nibbling daintily. Families in this neighbourhood rent goats once per year to eat all the noxious weeds and keep the risk of winter grass fires down. The goats are from Wyoming and they travel the country to provide this service, at the rate of $3 (US) per day. This is real, people. I HAVE SEEN THE GOATS!

No comments:

Post a Comment